A beautiful example of this scarce Massachusetts town map of 1855 prepared by Henry F. Walling as Superintendent of the State Map. A table at the bottom of the map provides essential history and statistics of Fairhaven. There is a large map inset of Fairhaven and Oxford Villages. The different areas of town are indicated with Roman Numerals. The large scale survey permits detailed description of the coastal terrain, of buildings and their owners and of roads and ways.
This wall map belonged to The Colonial Club of Fairhaven, Massachusetts and the club's blue stamp is on the reverse on the original linen backing. The Colonial Club, formed in 1912, was a local institution whose members participated in the centennial celebration of the founding of the town.
The map's good condition may be credited to its having been rolled up for many years and kept in a safe location. The varnished surface is bright and clear, with a horizontal crack along the top and the bottom due to the weight of the wood rod. The hand colored map sections are bright. This may be one of only two early 19th century maps of Fairhaven.
WorldCat identifies six copies of this map in member institutions.